Thursday, April 5, 2012

A life without butter & chocolate

It might be no big deal to some. But growing up with a family of great cooks - er - great southern cooks - a day without butter and/or chocolate is a day not worth eating in my book. I'm sure my mom is laughing right now, thinking about my chocolate obsession, but seeing how many treats and M&M's she brings to Luke each week, it's no wonder I have a sweet tooth... love you, mom :)

So, as we have recently learned, Everett is not only allergic to dairy but also eggs. All things dairy, not just lactose. And anything and everything that contains the slightest amount of eggs. I want to continue nursing right now so this has meant a huge change in my diet. I think I'm too busy with my wild two year old to cry about it, but it has been quite the adjustment to say the least. I'm the girl that would eat butter plain. Plain as in...by itself. I used to request mayonnaise sandwiches as a child. And chocolate? Considered a main course in my book. So I have learned what I can and can't eat and have found many things to be quite helpful lately. For the most part I stick to meat and produce, but here are a few of my latest finds that have helped tremendously with this whole "dairy/egg" free business.

1. Oreos are considered vegan. I'm not sure what's in them exactly, but I eat them by the sleeve. This is not a joke.
2. Starbucks just became worth the price of their drinks. Soy options all around make the rainy, tired days a little bit brighter.
3. P.F. Changs has it figured out. You simply tell your server which allergies you have and they type it into their computer, and voila! A complete printable list that they bring you to your table of all the menu options that are safe JUST. FOR. YOU.
4. Whole Foods is the best place to go for those with allergies. I'm amazed at the mayonnaise, cheese, chocolate options that don't contain eggs or milk. I don't understand how it works, but I'll take it.
5. If I continue to buy the dairy free chocolate bars we may never be able to buy another house. They are expeeeensive.
6. There is also such thing as dairy free ice cream. Something about soy and coconut milk, but oh my it's delicious. And when sister hasn't had any ice cream in over a month, this is the best darn ice cream you could ever imagine. See number 5 for the reason why we do not purchase this on a regular basis.
7. As I'm writing this I'm realizing that our grocery budget has more than likely gone up significantly based on the stores and products that are available to those with allergies.
8. Always plan ahead. We recently took a trip to DC and while we were out and about there were very few options of things for me to eat on the go. Luna Bars are my new best friend.
9. Pinterest (although I'm still confused about this ... how is this different from just google searching???) has GREAT resources and substitution lists for baking and cooking without dairy and eggs. It's amazing how many things can be used to substitute milk, butter & eggs to get the same-ish result.

So, life goes on and tonight's dinner involves lots of meat and vegetables :)





No comments:

Post a Comment